Blame it on Jennifer Garner, Hollywood actress of Alias fame. These days, women won’t put up with getting dingly-dangly “auntie arms”. No way! We want arms that are toned to perfection. Plus we want a firm back, as it helps create a slimmer, more elegant posture, in or out of clothes.
With this guide, you can get both, as these simple yet effective exercises can even be done at home.
* Tricep Dips - Jennifer Garner’s trainer claims this is the secret to the Alias star’s arms. To begin, sit on a chair with hands on front of the seat and fingers over the edge. Move your bottom forward, off the chair, supporting your weight on your hands. With your back straight, lower your body, bending your arms to a 90-degree angle. Before your bottom touches the floor, push your body back up and straighten arms. Do three sets of 15 to 20 reps.
* Lateral Raise – Do this for beautifully sculpted shoulders. Holding a dumbbell or free weifhts in each hand (you can also use two large cants), stand with your feet hip-width apart. Hold weights with your arms at your sides (your inner arms should be next to your body). Lift arms out to shoulder level and slowly back down. Do three sets of 15 to 20 reps.
* Bicep Curls and Tricep Curls – Start using 2 kg or 2.5 kg weights and try for four to six sets of 12 to 15 reps. To do bicep curls, stand with your feet hip-width apart holding the weights by your sides. Keep elbows close to you sides all the time. Now lift, bending your elbows, and bring weights to just below shoulder height. Slowly lower weights back down and repeat. For tricep curls, bend over from your waist and raise your elbow behind you, straightening your arm. Keep elbow close to your body. This exercise is best if you do it one arm at a time. Do three sets of 15 to 20 reps on each side.
* Reverse Flys – Hold weights with palms facing each other in front of your body. Slowly lift arms out to the side, squeezing shoulder blades together. Release and bring weights back to original position. Do three sets of 15 to 20 reps.
* Seated Row – Sit on the floor with legs straight. Raise arms to shoulder height with weights in hand. Bend elbows and squeeze your back as you bring your elbows towards your stomach. Keep your elbows close to your sides. Do three sets of 15 to 20 reps.
Arm Yourself with the Facts
- There are no short cuts to firmer arms. Even liposuction can’t help. French cosmetic surgeon, Dr Jean Louis Sebagh, says, “The skin is too thin in that area. You have to improve the muscles as they hold the skin up. If you’re lazy, no one can help.”
- It takes up to three months for your body to show results from exercise.
- Besides weighlifting for toning, do cardiovascular exercises to burn calories and fat, so you can see the sleek muscles.
- Eat small, balanced meals throughout the day to keep you metabolism going.